Saturday, January 12, 2008

"Churning" Butter

We spent the last week learning about the 1800's and the western expansion. The next few posts show some of the hands on activities we completed to reinforce what we have been learning.
The pictures in this post show the kids "churning" butter.
This method was to mimic butter churning during the journey west. The pioneers would "churn" the butter in a jar hanging from the inside of the wagon as they traveled during the day. When they stopped for the night the butter would be ready.

Mitchell and Matthew both helped "churn" the butter by shaking the cream in a mason jar. Mom and Dad helped too. Just when I thought it wasn't going to work I noticed a large clump of butter in the jar. I poured it into this mixing bowl so the kids could see the butter and the buttermilk.
Enjoying the "butter" of their labor!

0 comments: